Saturday, February 9, 2008

Christmas 2007 Lesson

As I said in my first post, my brother got me playing Poker. He likes to play cards, lotteries, etc...so since we went back to our hometown for the holidays and had nothing else to do one night we broke out the cards and he proceeded to teach me, my wife, my son, mother and her friend the art of poker.

I didn't know what beat what so I had him make cheat sheets of all of the hands and rank them. My mom had several large gallon glass jars of chips stashed in her closet (my late dad's) that she broke out, so with cheat sheets in hand the game began. It seemed fun even though I didn't know what to look for except 2 and 3 of a kind. I was making stupid bets and losing about every hand. I had literally no concept of when to fold, call or raise so I basically called every bet. Heck, the chips were free and we had an endless supply.

The one problem that I found out later was that my brother thought he was teaching us Texas Hold'em but he was confused. He had us playing with 2 cards down and just the flop. No turn and no river! We were all clueless but we had fun none the less. I think my 14 year old son actually won the game that night.

More on the next post about finding out the correct way to play Texas Hold'em.

No comments: