Friday, February 22, 2008

Practice Tournament Hold'em

The first time I discovered and played AOL Hold'em no-limit Tournament poker, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. This game simulated what I had been watching on TV in the WSOP. I loved the fact that everyone started even, with the same number of chips.

The AOL no-limit Hold'em tournaments run 7 days a week and are held every three hours starting at 11 am through midnight. Generally anywhere from 2500-3500 players are entered in each tourney.

I started playing almost every 8 and 11pm tourneys M-F and tried to get in 2-3 tourneys a day on the weekends. At first my finishes usually were 1200 - 2000. Not very good. Played to many hands too early and got knocked out. About a couple weeks (early Jan 2008) into the tourneys I finished an amazing 92 out of 3552 players. Took over 2 hours and I was hitting cards like never before. Then got careless and lost it all quickly. I was so glad to make the Top 100 that I didn't care. It took me another 5 weeks (mid Feb) before I cracked the Top 100 again. This time I finished 50th! Before that finish I had slowed my tourney play down, only playing a couple of tournaments a week. I did that because that's about the time I thought, "Hey, dude you could maybe just do this for a living". But I thought that no-limit was too risky and that limit poker might be a better fit for my personality.

Next post we'll talk Limit poker on AOL.

No comments: